- 1 1/2 lbs. fresh broccoli, cut into bite size pieces
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/4 flour
- 1 cup low sodium chicken stock
- 1/2 cup milk (I used organic unsweetened soy)
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cup low-fat cheddar cheese (reserve 1/2 cup for topping)
- 1/2 parmesan
- 2 1/2 cups cooked rice (cook according to directions)
- 2 cups chopped chicken
1. Heat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. Put the olive oil in a medium heat pan. Add the onion and cook until it is tender, then add the garlic. After the garlic has been in the pan for about 3 minutes add your flour, let the flour cook for 1 minute. Then add your milk and chicken stock, stir until it thickens which will take about 3-5 minute. Make sure you keep stirring the entire time!!
3. Once the sauce has thickened stir in the salt, pepper and mustard. Once that is well combined add both cheeses. After the cheese has melted into gooey goodness, stir in the broccoli. Set mixture aside.
4. Grab your casserole dish and grease it!
5. Fluff the brown rice and place all of it in a layer on the bottom of the casserole dish. Place the cubed chicken on top of the rice.
6. Place the broccoli and cheese roux on top of the rice and chicken in the casserole dish. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top. Bake covered for 25 minute. Take the cover off and bake for an additional 5 minutes to make it a little brown on top!